Who Is Dave Dunfield?
Hello, my name is "Dave Dunfield" and at the time of writing this document
(2020) I am 60 years of age. I have been very interested and involved in the field of computing since the
I am primarily a software person, but my knowlege and experience differ
from many others bcause:
- I was involver before computers were at all common or well known. I learned
by "doing" on early systems where little was provied for you, and exactly what
a "computer" is was still being defined.
- I've implemented many of the things taken for granted now, and know how the
core of systems work at a much deeper level than most.
- Through most of my endevors I have written my own code. I am generally not
in a rush to use canned libraries or open source (but I will if is necessary
and makes sense).
Here is some of the software and products which were based on my software
that I have designed and implemented over the years:
- Operating systems: From simple command interfaces to hardware, more complex
single user/task execututives to complete multi user environments.
- Debug tools: Simple "monitor" programs, complete software debuggers, full
system diagnostic tools, as well as various debugging capabilities in custom
control systems of my design.
- Development tools: Compilers, Assemblers, Interpreters and various tools
and languages for proprietary systems.
LINumerous control systems.
- A series of data switching systems.
- A couple corporate large tele/video conferencing systems.
- A series of small voice PBX systems.
Although primarily a software guy, I have a great deal of hardware related
knowlege and experience. I can designed and constructed many hardware devices
I do have a fairly well equipped lab,
- Complete computer systems (not just assembling clone PCs - done plenty of
those), but complete systems of my own design (hardware and software).
- Lots of test equipment.
- Home automation systems and devices.
- Diskette/Software/CDrom duplication equipment.
- Industrial control systems.
- MANY smaller/embedded systems to accomplish varied tasks.
- Custom devices of all sorts.
- Telephone systems.
- Radio communication systems.
- Radio control and information transfer systems.
What else about me?
I am Canadian, I live near Ottawa Ontario, I am married to a wonderful wife,
I have two kids - both moved out and on their own now. I was an avid motorcyclist
until 2019, love to travel and see places, an avid cruiser (not lately
with the world situation, but hopefully it will recover). Other than that, I
mostly enjoy quiet time at home, am always working on something (even when I
don't appear to, there's something going on in the back of my mind). Enjoy the
barbeque, have gas, but really prefer the big ceramic kamado grill! (have a
small one too so I can keep going in the garage during the winter).
June 15, 2020
Back to Dave's Personal Page